Introducing our Direction + Discernment Team
In the fall of 2016 NewStory Church elected Esther, Sam, Bill, Mike and Sue to serve on our Direction and Discernment Team. Keeping in mind the description of “elders” from 1 Timothy 3:1-13 and Titus 1:5-9, this team serves the staff and the entire NewStory family through their prayers, support, guidance and accountability. Please read a little bit about the responsibilities of being on this team HERE and get to know a little bit about each person on this team below:
- Esther Kim has been a part of the NewStory family since 2013. She participated in our first ever Racial Justice Small Group, has led multiple Small Groups since then, has served in KidStory, and currently serves on the Welcome Team, Hospitality Team and Prayer Team. Esther demonstrates a peaceful, playful presence with wisdom and kindness. Professionally, she works as a social worker in Chicago.
- Sam Boyd moved to Chicago in 2011 to help start NewStory Church in Edgewater. Moving to the city without a job, Sam demonstrated incredible faith and faithfulness to follow God wherever God leads. He has had a foundational impact on this church through his prayers, thoughtfulness and willingness to serve in many different capacities. Sam has led Small Groups, served on the Security Team and currently serves on the Welcome Team, Hospitality Team and Prayer Team. Professionally, Sam is a lab technician at Northwestern Hospital.
- Bill Hicks became a part of the NewStory family in 2014 when he walked by Swift and saw the signs for a church meeting inside the school. Bill first started serving with our NextChapter students, leading student Small Groups and then helping form a Worship Team for NextChapter. For a season, Bill stepped up as our Worship Arts Coordinator, joining the staff of NewStory as a volunteer. Bill currently co-leads one of the NewStory worship bands, sharing his passion for the Word of God moving through the Spirit of God on Sunday mornings. Bill works in a residential treatment center for adults in Evanston.
- Sue Lueders learned about NewStory Church through one of our Winter Retreats when she first met Dori. From that introduction, Sue and her husband Mike began praying about moving from the suburbs to the city to be a part of NewStory. Since moving to Edgewater in 2014, Sue has mentored many young women in our church, helping others grow spiritually, emotionally and professionally. With gifts of leadership, faith and discernment, she currently hosts a Small Group, mentors married couples and serves on the Prayer Team. Sue works downtown at Bank of America.
- Mike Lueders took a step of faith with Sue in 2014, moving to Chicago to be a part of NewStory. From day one Mike has offered his experience and giftings as a leader. Together, Mike and Sue, have led numerous Small Groups for engaged and married couples in our church. Mike serves on the Prayer Team and continues to serve as our church’s treasurer, ensuring we stay on budget and helping us take steps of faith with our generosity. He currently serves on our Prayer Team with a gentle, strong spirit, serving with humility and grace. Professionally, Mike is an industrial engineer who has faithfully worked at the same company for over 30 years.